Thursday, September 26, 2013

Part 2/2 of Georgian Vacation: Day 1/8 or “Why I (Irrationally) Hate Intercontinental Hotels”

Today I arrived in Turkey with my parents, and decided it was time to post the exciting conclusion to our first day in Georgia! To catch up on the first half (so you get all the JOKES and REFERENCES), check out this link.

---

Already reaching our exhaustion limit on this mashootka ride, I began to bother Gohar with questions of what we will do when we get to Gonio. What if we don't find any of these rooms in homes we could stay at like she mentioned? Were we just going to walk around until we found something with our bags? Gohar went to ask the mashootka driver about stops and such and he began to make a few calls and told us we passed Gonio and were headed to a more expensive area. He had a friend who rented a room to guests for a very good price in Gonio and he turned around to drive us directly to his drive way. The family was very welcoming and sweet and kept apologizing for a mess we couldn't see as they did not know they were having guests. Our rooms had two beds in it, a huge window and a closet. The bathrooms and shower were clean and big and had running water. I felt we had won a silent battle against Intercontinental Hotels, if they existed.
Our cute house - it is Gohar's finger ruining this shot, not mine
We took out all of our things and unpacked and went for a walk on the beach. It was cold and cloudy but just imagining what it would be like when it was sunny was enough. We skipped rocks on the ground because we were too lazy to make an effort and do it on the water and planned out where we could have our morning run. We decided to head back home and read and relax and decided that tomorrow would be the real beginning. We walked a good 20 minutes until Gohar asked me if I knew where we were. Nothing looked familiar. Just as we had finally found a place to rest our heads, we lost it. We went in every direction but couldn't tell if we were getting further away from our beds or not. We didn't have their address. We just assumed we wouldn't get lost on a 10 minute walk to the beach. FOOLS.

We saw a lifeguard who had told us not to swim because it was too wavy on our way there and swallowed our pride and told him that yes, the tourists were lost. He laughed and we told him the names of our host-family and he let us know he not only knew where they lived but that he would take us there. Because we could get lost again.

The route was an embarrassingly straight-forward one about 7 minutes away – we had just missed a turn. We then realized we were right beside a motorcycle shop and asked the lifeguard if we could rent bikes there. He said no but that he would lend us his and was off to save annoying children.
Badass biker panda!
Gohar and I decided to finally read on our beds, enjoying the quiet. I read two pages of a book she recommended to me, “Freakanomics” and felt my eyes closing. Not because the book was boring – I hadn't even made it passed the preface. But because that 12 hour bus ride was taking its toll. I didn't want to admit that I couldn't get past the preface to myself (much like my mentality while watching House on the bus) so I tried to secretly nap while holding the book so Gohar would not suspect a thing. The book fell twice as I fell asleep but I would wake up, hold it again and close my eyes, feeling like a spy. The third time the book fell, I thought for sure my cover was blown and that Gohar saw through my reading facade. I looked over to accept her judgment but to my surprise, Gohar was sound asleep, with the book on her side, showing she only read a few pages as well. Life lesson learned: people are usually as tired as you are.

We had the deepest naps ever for about an hour, showered, ate some peanut butter on lavash and planned the night and the following day. We would sleep as soon as it was socially acceptable to sleep (which is apparently 9pm), wake up early and go for a run,  go for a swim and then head to Batumi for the day. WHO KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEN.

Observations: Georgian mashootkas are almost exactly like Armenian mashootkas, except their doors close AUTOMATICALLY.

No comments:

Post a Comment