Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Hmoz/Hummus Recipe!

There are a few things I am pretentious about. One of them is my hmoz (aka my parent's) recipe.

Full disclosure: ever since I can remember, hmoz has been my favourite food in the universe. As a result of the large Armenian Diaspora, hmoz became a staple in Western Armenian Cuisine, so I had a lot of access to it - at home and in any Armenian restaurant in Canada. When I went vegan, one of my first thoughts was "oh but hmoz is vegan so I'm good". I actually used to think it was an Armenian dish until I found out otherwise. I can eat it every day without getting sick of it, and I like it with veggies, with bread, mixing it with grains or beans or anything else on my plate (tabouleh sandwich!), or even alone with a spoon.

I only realized I could be pretentious about hmoz when I started making full-on Canadian friends and we started having potlucks or eating at each other's houses. Someone would always make the mistake of saying they made "hummus" and I would become really excited, only to realize that it was mashed chickpeas with either garlic/lemon, or in one case (sorry), NOTHING ELSE. Needless to say, I would still eat it but with a lot of bitterness and gave people (sorry again) dirty looks.

One day I decided to stop getting annoyed and take action. I made it. Or I think I asked my mom to make it. Anyways, I took it to the next potluck proudly showcasing it. The result was fabulous and I think all my friends genuinely liked me a lot more as a result of that hmoz. The pretentiousness began to steer its sexy head.

I eventually moved on with my life, and one day decided to come to Armenia. I stayed with a host-family for over 7 months, and while my host-sister introduced me to some of my new favourite foods (basooc dolma, represent), I began to violently miss hmoz. I once saw it in a supermarket packaged in a can and bought it, only to realize it was a thick chickpea paste where you were supposed to add ingredients. Another time I saw it in another supermarket in the "buffet" section they have, and bought a container even though it looked strange. I knew it was missing some key ingredients, but there was still something in it that I couldn't put my finger on and really didn't like. My host-family would sometimes make it as well, and it had the exact same taste. I decided the next time my host-sister made it, I would watch. My pretentiousness began to peek out while I mentally noted that she didn't put 3 top ingredients, and then I saw what that taste was that I wasn't able to put my finger on: she had added both mayonnaise AND sour cream. When I asked her why, she said they put them in to make hmoz creamy because otherwise it would be too heavy/thick. I was shocked for two reasons, one being that I had eaten non-vegan food, and two, that adding mayonnaise/sour cream did not make any sense to me and was pretty gross.

I began to realize Armenians in Armenia, much like my Canadian friends, did not really know how to make hmoz.

Eventually I found some Western Armenian restaurants in Armenia and got my hmoz fix. However, the minute I moved out to my own place and began cooking for myself, I immediately bought a blender. Ideally, with hmoz, you would use a food processor, but to my knowledge they are nowhere to be found in Armenia, and I assume when I do find one it will be super expensive, so a blender is the second best choice.

So without talking about hmoz itself any more, here is the recipe that my grandparents and parents passed on to me. I'm not going to have kids so I refuse to let this recipe die with me, so you are welcome, my blog-babies. My mom's is still always better than mine, but compared with what is considered hummus these days, mine is pretty damn good (so pretentious!).

Ingredients:
-2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and soaked overnight (+ liquid they boiled in, more on this in the directions section)
-1-2 lemons, depending on how much juice they have
-2-3 garlic cloves
-Cumin powder
-2 tablespoons tahini
-2-3 tablespoons olive oil
-Pinch(es) of salt
-Red pepper (optional)
-Chopped parsley for decoration (optional)

Directions:
-Chickpeas take forever to cook if you do not soak them, which is why many people opt for the canned option. Soak them overnight and you will significantly cut the cooking time. Cook them until they are nice and tender and let them cool off. Don't discard the liquid - you will use it in the recipe.
Precious liquid!
 -Once cooled, add the chickpeas to the blender or food processor. Add about a 1/4th cup of the liquid with them as well.
-Chop your garlic and let it sit for 5 minutes before adding it. I think you know why by now, but if not, visit my post about the butternut squash dish :)
-Squeeze the lemon and add the juice. Usually the juice of 1 & 1/2 lemons is perfect, but if they are small or not too juicy, you can add both.
-Add the olive oil, cumin (I would put at least 3 tsp, sometimes more), red pepper, and tahini. Add some salt as well but don't go crazy cause you can never take that back.
-Add the garlic and begin to blend. Depending on how thick it is, you can slowly add more of the liquid the chickpeas were in to give it a smoother consistency. This liquid is like a 'broth' and adds flavour and creaminess (take that mayonnaise!)
-Blend or process until it is completely smooth, which does take a couple of minutes. In a blender I usually have to stop and stir a couple of times, but with a food processor there is usually no need. Taste it and if it needs more salt or cumin, add them now!
Put it into the prettiest bowl you have, drizzle on some olive oil, sprinkle on some cumin, red pepper (or paprika) and parsley and let it sit for a bit so all the flavours really mesh with each other. Enjoy it with some cut up veggies like celery, carrots, broccoli, or put it in some Romano lettuce leaves for a cute little wrap!
I didn't have parsley :(
In this recipe, the chickpeas provide us with some protein, the vitamin C from the lemon helps us absorb the non-hemme iron found in both the chickpeas and the cumin, the tahini provides us with easily digestible calcium, the garlic* provides anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, and the cumin aids in digestion! As if you needed more reasons to love this dish, eh?

Try out this simple recipe, and see if mayonnaise or sour cream have any place in it, and join me in being pretentious when someone brings mashed chickpeas at your next potluck and calls it hummus :)

*Did you know? Many people have trouble digesting garlic. One reason can be a skinny little green sprout found in the clove itself, which is actually where the strongest odor comes from. You can flatten your garlic with one smack with the flat end of a knife and see if there are any green sprouts inside. If so, simply remove them and see if it helps!
Found this on the internet, this hand is not mine for I would never let my nails grow that long

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, I love garlic but since I had problems digesting it, I often avoided it. Now I know better. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete