Thursday, June 19, 2014

The All-Mighty Spiralizer: A Love Story

It's time to take advantage of being in Canada with all of my kitchen tools and appliances and introduce all my blog-babies to the SPIRALIZER. What is a spiralizer you wonder? This funky looking party machine:
This is taken with my mom's phone - I don't know why it looks foggy.
I started hearing about being "raw veganism" a lot after becoming vegan but well before nutrition school. I researched it, tried out some raw restaurants in Toronto, took some raw "cooking" classes, confirmed there was such a thing as "raw hmoz" and decided to commit to it fully for just a little over a month. After the initial couple of days of "everything feels weird all of the time" adjustment period, I felt many benefits: increased energy levels (I'm talking energizer bunny here), requiring less hours of sleep, mental clarity, unbelievably slick digestion, and glowing pregnant-style skin. It makes sense when you think about the basics of raw food eating: you don't cook your food above a heat level that essentially destroys enzymes. Enzymes are in all raw foods and while we have them in our digestive tract in order to break down the foods we eat, when you eat a raw apple for example, the enzymes present in it essentially self-digest the apple, not exhausting our body's own supply. It makes digestion less work for our bodies which enable them to focus on more important things (liver's got over 500 functions to worry about!). I will write a more detailed post dedicated to raw eating soon since I do not want to be derailed from praising the all-mighty spiralizer.

In the cooking class I took, one of the things we learned to make was a raw "pad thai". I had tried it before and it was delicious and remains to be one of my favourite meals, but I had no idea what the noodles in the dish were. Our teacher unveiled to us that they were zucchini noodles created by using the spiralizer. She just cut off both ends of the zucchini, stuck it into the circular blade and secured it, and began spinning. What came out on the other end was a wonderfully long noodle of zucchini, or "zuchetti". She cut it up since keeping it as one noodle would result in too many "lady and the tramp" moments between raw foodists, and it was done. I was so impressed I was speechless, which has only happened 3 times so far.

Within minutes she had created a great alternative for pasta, which was not only nutritious, but also suitable for raw foodists. She made a special raw pad thai dressing, but mentioned we could of course just make a raw marinara, or even make a cooked sauce and just pour it over the zucchetti for a healthier meal that wasn't necessarily 100% raw. You could use other vegetables too - the ones that worked well included carrots and beets. They also look really pretty all mixed up together!

I was sold. I bought mine shortly after and did a few presentations/cooking demos in Canada with it during and post nutrition school, where I talked too fast but still got the point across and made some other people speechless as well. I haven't used it regularly recently since I did not bring it to Armenia with me but now that I am in Canada, I have been reunited with my long lost love.

Another reason the spiralizer will also always hold a special place in my heart is because my good friend Shaghig bought one, decided to make a helpful 'how-to' video for it, and failed in so many ways humanly possible, while still keeping her cool. This should become the official commercial for the spiralizer:

You can easily avoid the cute fail-dom in the above video. Just cut off both ends of the zucchini so they are flat and adjust it in the circular blade on one end, and in the CIRCLE OF DAGGERS on the other, and simply spin:
Once you are done, you will be left with the zucchini residue that you cant eat, save for a smoothie/juice/soup, or use it to attack your brother with:
As mentioned, you can also use it for other vegetables--in this case I also added a carrot:
The beet in the background never made its debut!
The carrot noodles tend to self-regulate their length, but with the zucchini I make sure to cut it so it does not remain one long noodle that you cannot share. I mimicked the raw pad thai dish, and this was the "foggy" delicious result:
To quote an ancient proverb, "my only regret is not remembering I had the spiralizer sooner".

Fun Fact: the only celebrities I have ever met in my life were in the second raw restaurant in Toronto I linked above, where I worked as a juicer/smoothie-maker. Woody Harrelson's eyes are even bluer in person.

3 comments:

  1. I have been DYING for one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah it is awesome! I even just took the blade & traveled with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post. The whole blog is very nice found some good stuff and good information here Thanks..Also visit my page  Travel medical insurance Protect Travel is a travel insurance company. Get your Travel Insurance with Protect Travel and Never leave your home without a Travel Insurance, get yourself Insured Now!

    ReplyDelete