Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Cauliflower Mash/Cruciferous Party!

Pretty cauliflowers had been catching my eye lately and after getting a food processor, I was finally tempted enough to try making cauliflower mash (like mashed potatoes but BETTER!). I bought some and noticed there was broccoli right beside it as well and decided a cruciferous vegetable dinner needed to take place.

For the cauliflower mash, I didn't have a recipe, but had IDEAS. I planned on boiling it until softened, then cooking it with some garlic, spring onions, spices and oil before letting it cool off so I could process it into a hmoz-esque mush. I decided to add cumin, hot pepper, black pepper, paprika, salt and turmeric to it and see what would happen. DUN DUN DUUUUN!
I actually think I forgot to add the cumin which would only be embarrassing if the dish didn't end up being SO GOOD!
I decided I would boil the broccoli as well with some zucchini and then mix it with some quinoa to pair it up with the cauliflower mash. Even though it is summer and therefore the best time to incorporate more raw foods and meals, cruciferous vegetables fall into the "better cooked than raw" category because of their goitrogenic aspect when eaten raw, which can adversely affect the thyroid. Other examples of cruciferous veggies include Brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, cabbage, bok choy, etc. 

I began with boiling the cauliflower until soft and tested it with a fork. Once softened I let it cool off and blasted some music so I would not get bored and give up on it and decide annoying the house-cat was a better way to spend my time.
I chopped up some garlic and let it sit for reasons that can be found here, and cut the spring onions and dill as well. I stir-fried them with the broccoli and the spices and ended up adding a little bit of soy sauce as well (for some kick and also to mimic gravy). 
It smelled really good by this point
While it cooled off again I focused on the broccoli aspect and I just boiled it and the zucchini until soft, cooked the quinoa, combined them and added Georgian spices this time and sprinkled some sesame seeds on top. My dinner guests came over and Arpine brought us a surprise dessert from Italy I had never heard of and she was very excited about it:
It will be known as "hard cloud" sweet thing from now on
Once the cauliflower dish cooled down, I put it in the food processor and added a little tahini too. It took a while to process because there weren't any liquids in there, so next time I will save some of the cauliflower "broth" and add a little to keep it going. It eventually became the mush I had imagined earlier in the day, and it was dinner time. 
I cannot express with mere words how tasty it was - I was so impressed with it. So flavourful and it had the kick I was hoping it would - via the garlic and the soy sauce. I definitely recommend it and all I would change would be adding some of the liquid to make it a little easier to process.
Arpine's plate was the only one that did not look gross as a result of mixing. She is so classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment