Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Making of Oat Milk!

From all dairy-based alternatives, almond has always been my favourite. Rice is too sweet, coconut too rich/creamy for everyday use, and I tend not to enjoy soy on its own. Almond is smooth, fresh, goes with anything, and is easily made at home.

It became my staple in Canada and Armenia. I wrote a blog post on how to make it and the only real factor you had to take into account was to soak the almonds overnight to make sure the blending would go as smoothly as possible. Almonds are also a bit expensive--both in Canada and Armenia, but I didn't make it all the time so all was well in life and love.

Then, recently, oat milk was introduced to me. I had heard of it before but had never tried it or attempted to learn how to make it. After really enjoying the taste of a homemade version, I could not believe how easy it was to make. What sold me was the fact that you only had to soak the oats for 20 minutes before making it, so I could make it anytime to fulfill any craving. Plus, oats are super cheap in both Armenia and Canada, and as long as you avoid processed ones and find steel cut oats, they are a healthy alternative too. Remember, you can always easily add flavours, so you don't need to buy any with added sugar (or salt, or preservatives, etc.).

So with a pitcher full of delicious and creamy oat milk ready in my fridge, here is how you, little blog baby, can also make it:

Soak your oats! Put at least a cup of them in a bowl, and don't worry about rinsing cause you will do that before blending since soaked oats become a little slimy:
Just a note, in Gumi Shuga you can find great oats in bulk, but that area was closed when I wanted more, so I bought it from the supermarket, and they had Russian options organized based on whether they were targeting men, women, or families. Russian Hercules it was:
Usually, as a result of my short attention span, I would leave the oats for much longer than 20 minutes, but this time it was just about that amount of time, and they were perfectly fluffy and ready for what lied ahead. Just put them in a strainer or mesh cloth and give them a rinse:
Once you rinse them off, add them to your blender, and put as much water as you like. Less will always make it more creamy, but for this amount I filled the blender up and the results were delicious:
Blend, but not for too long. With almond milk, the goal is to really pulverize the almonds and get as much milk as possible, but oats are much simpler to blend, so after about 20 or 30 seconds, you can stop. Then you just have to strain it:
Once you finish straining, you can keep the oat residue/pulp with all of its fibre and use it in some baked dessert. We will use ours in an apple crumble recipe! Mmm.

Now you can get creative. You can have the milk like this and be done. Or, you can add some flavour to it. We opted for cinnamon, maple syrup (represent!) and a touch of salt. You can just add the milk to the blender with your ingredients and blend again:
The results? Delicious, creamy, and just the right amount of sweetness! You can use this on its own, in a fancy chai recipe, in your coffee, or anywhere else you would use milk! Just give it a little stir before using it.
Done!

Photo Credit: Björn (except the horribly lit ones...I am no photographer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment