Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Restaurant Spotlight: Safron!

When I first went vegetarian, one of the foods I knew I would miss was mante. I loved the way my mom made it, in a tomato paste-soup with dried mint, chickpeas, red pepper flakes, and topped with madzoun and garlic. It was one of my favourite dishes, and I knew going veg meant a goodbye was in order.

A friend told me that Safron in Yerevan, Armenia had a vegetarian version of this staple, and I knew I had to try it. In a very elegant and sleek location, they had two vegetarian options available: one "regular" and one "Kayseri". We asked for Kayseri and the waiter said they didn't have it, so we went with regular. 

When it arrived, I knew I hit the jackpot. I finally felt like I had mante back in my life and loved every second of the meal. For about 2700 drams, this mushroom-based dish can be yours too, and comes with a generous side of red pepper flakes, sumac, and madzoun! 
Photo by Serda Ozbenian
I will definitely go back to eat this one again, and hope to try the Kayseri option as well to see if it matches the one my mom makes.

So for those who want to try something new, or for veg-heads who miss delicious mante, make sure to try this one out! Next time I will try some of their other options too hopefully, but mante always comes first!

No comments:

Post a Comment