Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Vegan Mock Tuna Recipe!

I always enjoyed the taste of tuna in a can, and while I was excited to see this rather expensive option in my search to find something resembling it, I decided to finally experiment with the many recipes I saw floating around.

This recipe is a mixture of a bunch that I found and includes a lot of new additions to make up for something that was always lacking. It is my favourite one as I feel I finally perfected it and therefore actually wrote it down on a scrap piece of paper! So if you're like me and miss the taste of tuna-in-a-can, try this vegan recipe to get as close to it as possible. It is great as a dip, in a sandwich, in lettuce leaves or when I am desperate, just straight off a spoon!

Ingredients:
-1 cup of cooked chickpeas (or one jar or can, rinsed), you can also save some of the chickpea liquid (aquafaba) and add a little for taste
-1 long celery stalk, finely chopped
-3 TBSPs dried seaweed (I use nori or kombu, you can try other types too!)
-1 TBSP mustard (I used a fancy kind cause I have a mini obsession with mustard)
-1 TBSP vegan mayo (I used Vegenaise but will make my own next time)
-1.5 TBSP tamari or soy sauce
-2 chubster pickles, diced
-Black and red (hot) pepper, as much as you like
-A pinch of salt if desired (add it after adding the tamari to see if you really need it)
-2 sprigs of spring onions (you can use a yellow or red onion but it does take over in terms of taste)
-Nutritional yeast! I use a lot cause I love it, but start with 1 TBSP and see how you feel about life

Directions:
-Mash the chickpeas with a fork or a fancy device. Goal is to leave no round ones and to make a chunky mixture
-Add all other ingredients, liquids first, but get the dried seaweed in there early on so it softens with all the liquids added
-Mix it all up well and enjoy! You can put it on toast, eat it with lettuce leaves or with crackers! It is super filling and healthy, and a perfectly convenient option when you have extra chickpeas!
I might add a little bit of miso or try seasoning the chickpeas next time and see what happens with that. But until then, this is my favourite recipe for mock tuna!
Chomp!

1 comment: