Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Review: Caffé Demetre's Vegan Sundae

Thanks to a Facebook group I'm a part of, I found out that Caffé Demetre had included some vegan options to its menu. Home to crepes, waffles, sundaes and much more, I mentally added this into the "vegan folder" in my brain, knowing it would come in handy one fine day.

That day came when my good friend Gohar (💗💗💗) came to Canada for a visit, and taking her to some old and new vegan joints became the theme of her short time here. And pretending to be at the CN Tower like good tourists of course:
I took her to my all-time favourite comfort food-based vegan restaurant, which is Hogtown Vegan. I don't go there too often, but when I do, I'm known to order the exact same thing every time, convincing myself that "next time" I will be more adventurous:
I recommended my favourite meal to Gohar, which is the unchicken Caesar wrap (always add pickles) with the fries supremacy (upgrade on the regular fries), and then surprised even myself when I ordered the exact same thing. #WorthIt.
The meal got the sexy Gohar stamp of approval!
Anyway, on her last day here, we could only meet in the evening, and since the subway line was being repaired (of course), Eglinton/Yonge was our safest bet. Before I thought about where we could get dessert, it hit me like a wrecking ball tidal wave: Demetre had a location there. It was perfect.

The menu has four vegan options: three smoothies with fruit, and one double-take worthy sundae option. Titled Beaches And Cream, it has a coconut sorbetto base, topped with French dark chocolate sauce, sliced bananas and caramelized coconut flakes. It had me at "sundae."
I never thought I would say this, considering the many delicious vegan options out there that I love, but after my first spoonful I realized this was the best tasting vegan ice cream I had ever tasted. It was beyond creamy, and the chocolate sauce was actually rich (aka not a watered down version), and the caramelized coconut flakes added a perfect touch, providing some crunch and really fantastic flavour.
I had eaten quite a filling dinner at my cousin's house previously (aka all of the hmoz), so I surprised even myself when I finished the entire thing, with no regrets. It cost $11, and it was worth every penny. While there are three other vegan options, and they do look pretty good for smoothies, why be cool and adventurous when you could be like me and order the exact same thing every time all of the time?
JOIN US

1 comment:

  1. Great blog post and really helpful and your blog are very interesting.
    Midnightinfo

    ReplyDelete